Choosing a destination for your wedding is probably the most important wedding planning decision you will have to make. After all, the location of your wedding will dictate many factors of your wedding, including the cost. For example, many people are now opting for a more tropical and exotic location to get married, and if you have to travel to the other side of the world to get to your dream wedding destination, then that can be pretty expensive.
Destination weddings are certainly growing in popularity. While there are still many couples who go down the traditional route of getting married in a church followed by a reception in a banquet hall, there is no doubt that a destination wedding is a new and upcoming trend with couples wanting to tie the knot.
Why are destination weddings so popular?
Well, one good reason is that they mean a vacation for everyone involved in the wedding and not just a honeymoon for the bride and groom. Some people keep it small and quiet with just immediate family and friends, while other couples have a huge wedding party traveling with them - it all depends on what you want. A destination wedding is also popular with people getting married for the second or even third time. They don't want all the fuss and formality of a traditional marriage, they simply want to 'get away' and get married.
Things to consider when planning a destination wedding:
• If wanting a tropical wedding, remember that it will be very hot and you and your partner could feel very uncomfortable in your wedding attire
• Do you want only close family/friends to come with you, or a larger wedding party?
• Can all of your guests afford the travelling expenses?
• Can you afford to pay for your guests to travel?
• Do you want to hold a second reception back home for friends and family that couldn't travel with you?
• Is privacy important to you? You will be surrounded by your guests for the whole duration of your wedding / honeymoon.
Remember that you will be inviting the guests to travel with you. Most likely, the guests will be paying their own way and are essentially planning their entire vacation around your wedding. Therefore, you will have to give considerable thought in what both you and your guests want to do before and after the wedding.
In summary, destination weddings are becoming very popular and because of this there are many travel agents who now specialize in these types of weddings. Make a decision on how large you want your traveling party to be and if your guests can afford it. Make sure to have some kind of understanding with your guests if you want a few days of privacy.